Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Daily Angry Phone Call From Jeff McNeil

Jeff McNeil called today. "I see you have time for a whole long 'post' about Alabama, but nothing about McNeil," he said. Specifically, he wanted me to "post" an email he sent, which begins, "to be usurped is one thing...but to be mocked! that is something i will not abide, mr pendarvis. I have cleared the McNeil building and now stalk the halls alone, menacingly..." You get the drift. This is my fault for fanning the flames. I thought a good feud would "spice up" the "blog." But it was wrong to set friend against friend, even in such an inconsequential and jesting way. I am reminded of the time I was in Barry B.'s yard, and there were some kids fighting. I believe a couple of kids had chased another kid up a tree. And Barry B. walked over and said in his mellifluous Pine Mountain, GA, accent: "Love, kids, love!" And the kids were so amazed and baffled and confused that they stopped fighting. Always remember what Barry B. said: "Love, kids, love!"