Thursday, June 05, 2008

Wake Up, Sir! Wake Up, Sir!


I have been very good, I think, at keeping my vow not to burden you with the matter of "what I'm reading." But the trouble with WAKE UP, SIR! by Jonathan Ames (which is "what I'm reading") is its bounty of quotable quotations of the kind a "blogger" such as myself feels compelled to share. There is the moment, for instance, when the narrator points out that lost grandeur is "always more grand than regular grandeur." Or his observation that temporary insanity "is very useful for committing murder, but not so practical in other situations." You will also observe that, like other things I enjoy, it has an exclamation point in the title. Moreover, Ames's narrator provides an appreciative summary of THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING! THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!, a movie which, aside from having a 1960s-too-long-for-a-marquee title of the sort favored by McNeil (and containing TWO exclamation points, though the narrator of the book allots it only one) happens to star "blog" fave Alan Arkin. So. How can I NOT tell you what I am reading? (Pictured, Alan Arkin in THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING! THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING!)