Wednesday, December 06, 2006

My Name Is "Blog"mandias


Now don't get upset, everybody! It's time for me to leave the old "blog" again for a few days, this time to do an interview for a magazine. So the "blog" will be temporarily "down." But no worries! As usual, I am leaving you with an assignment. I think it will do you a world of good to take the next couple of days to contemplate the magnificent, ruined edifice of the "blog"dex. It puts one in mind of good old Percy Bysshe Shelley, and those vast and trunkless legs of stone he found in the desert. You know what I'm talking about. Ozymandias, baby! What a poem. But I don't think the metaphor holds, when it comes to the "blog"dex. My understanding is that King Ozymandias built a mighty monument to himself and expected it to stand forever... whereas I put nine or ten hours into the "blog"dex before throwing in the towel. Of course, the "blog"dex WILL last forever, thanks to the powers of the "internet" and "cyberspace" and so on. But it is not a crumbling, ancient effigy, just a piddling unfinished thought. I don't know, there's an object of contemplation in there somewhere, so jump on it. Hey, that reminds me of a teacher I once heard quoting Shelley in a whiny, sarcastic voice: "I fall upon the thorns of life, I bleed." And we freshmen had a good laugh at Shelley's expense! Take that, Percy Bysshe Shelley! I need your essays on my desk by Monday.